South Ogden City is located in Weber County with a population of over 15,000. South Ogden is bounded on the north and east by Ogden City, on the south by Uintah, and on the west by Riverdale and Washington Terrace.
A Brief History of South Ogden
The South Ogden area was originally settled by Mormon pioneers. In 1850 the area was named Burch Creek after Daniel Burch. In 1852 the Weber Canal was built and Burch built a gristmill near its source in what is now Riverdale.
In the 1930s Burch Creek was a farming community of about 800 people in need of more water. The water supply was augmented in 1934, a year of serious drought when the Federal Drought Relief Agency financed the installation of a water supply line from Burch Creek Canyon.
The question of annexing Burch Creek to Ogden was raised many times, but each time the proposal was rejected by a majority of the people. Burch Creek was in need of a sewer system, more water, roads, and sidewalks. In 1936 a committee petitioned Weber County commissioners to allow incorporation. The petition was granted and on 6 July 1936, the town of South Ogden was established.